Elder Abuse is a widespread but hidden problem. According to the American Bar Association and National Center on Elder Abuse, just 1 in 23 cases of physical elder abuse is reported. For financial elder abuse, the rate of unreported cases is believed to be as high as 45 for every reported case. Elder abuse takes place in families from all walks of life and often includes a combination of forms (physical, financial, emotional). Certain types of seniors are more likely than others to fall prey to elder abuse, including: women, isolated individuals, and people with a disability or cognitive impairment. At Senior Legal Services Project, 70% of our clients are female and over 40% are frail, disabled, isolated, living alone, homebound or institutionalized.
If you are in physical danger or experiencing a medical emergency, call 911.
SLOLAF can provide help with:
- Confidential consultations;
- Legal help protecting against all forms of elder abuse;
- Assistance obtaining Elder Abuse Restraining Orders;
- Assistance preparing Durable Powers of Attorney; and,
- Referrals to other resources.
Call us at 805-541-5140
Other Resources for Reporting Elder Abuse:
- Investigates allegations of abuse and intervenes when necessary. Services are provided without regard to income.
- 24-hour response to persons in immediate danger; as well as service coordination, counseling, case management, in-home protection and supportive services to victims of abuse.
- (805) 781-1790 Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. You can make a report to Adult Protective Services after business hours by calling toll free (844) 729-8011.
- Investigates complaints made by or on behalf of care facility residents. Complaints can be made regarding any issue including care or abuse.
- Services are free of charge without regard to income.
- (805) 785-0132 Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. You can make a report after business hours through the statewide crisis line at (800) 231-4024.
- File a consumer complaint
- Report identify theft
- Register for Do Not Call list
- Get a free credit report
- Get updates and tips on avoiding scams