To schedule an appointment
Volunteer family law attorneys provide free legal advice on matters of family law to eligible SLO County residents who meet California State Bar income guidelines for free assistance and lack legal representation at the time of their appointment. Members of the Family Law Section of the SLO County Bar Association volunteer at the clinic. The attorneys change each clinic. You may not request a particular attorney. This clinic can only provide advice, not representation. If you are seeking representation, you will need to contact a private attorney.
Attorneys are available by appointment only, on the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month, from 4:00PM to 6:00PM at the SLO College of Law campus, located at 4119 Broad Street, Suite 200, in San Luis Obispo. We cannot guarantee your appointment time, so please arrange for child care, if needed, for the entire time. Participants can arrive as early as 3:30PM and will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis.
A $20 intake fee will be assessed prior to the appointment to secure a time slot. Your appointment time will not be reserved for you until the $20 fee is paid.
To make an appointment, or for more information about eligibility, please call 805-548-0794, or email FLAC@slolaf.org. In order to expedite the process, please provide the following information in your email or voicemail message:
- Are you a SLO County resident? (If no, you are not eligible.)
- Are you currently represented by an attorney? (If yes, you are not eligible.)
- Name of adverse party.
- Number of people you support (including yourself) and total average monthly household income.
- Best method and time to reach you (preferably between 9am and 5pm).
Appointments are available on a first-come first-served basis. If you fail to pay the $20 intake fee within 24 hours of receiving your appointment time, it will not be held for you.
Other agencies that provide assistance with family court issues are:
- Family Law Facilitator Office:
(805) 788-3418 (Recorded information)
Walk-In Hours: Mon – Thu 8:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Stand Strong (for survivors of intimate partner violence):
To confidentially request legal assistance, call (805) 781-6418
https:// standstrongnow.org/services/ legal-services/
- DSS Child Support Services for help with child support:
- SLO Lawline:
Phone Hours: Mon – Thu 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Lawyer Referral and Information Services (LRIS):
Phone Hours: Mon – Thu 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Cost: $50.00 administrative fee if you are referred to an attorney.